Students will learn, in a small class environment, the process that takes place after our whole animal breakdown through final sausage production (stay tuned for another Pork 101 Butchering Class date TBA). We believe participants will leave feeling confident at the counter and in their kitchen after completing these courses.
This class will be hands-on using high quality ingredients to create a few styles of sausage using select techniques. You will be taught, in detail, how we utilize heritage pork to result in juicy and snappy links!
We will cover the following:
- What cuts and fats make the best sausage
- Fat to lean ratio
- Spice selection, handling and blending
- Mixing and binding techniques
- Safe working temperatures
- Varieties, handling, and storage of sausage casing
- Stuffing and twisting - techniques and tips
- Binding agents, additives, natural preservatives
- Nitrates, nitrites, cured, uncured - we'll cover
- Shelf life, oxidation, spoilage
- Selecting and care of equipment for home use
We will be tasting the sausages we create as well as some other house favorites. This event is BYOB.
Students will take home a few pounds of various sausages to impress their family and friends!
*The sausage we will be making will be pork using pork casing
**Notepads are highly suggested.
Class starts promptly at 6:30 PM. Please arrive by 6:00 PM.